Simple Beet Hummus

It's a soggy Monday morning in the PNW and my wintertime blues is really bumming me out!  I know it's only February, but I can't help but long for summer and all it's warmth and colors it brings!! Since that isn't going to happen soon, I decided to make some colorful food!  And what better way to eat the rainbow then beets!  We eat a lot of beets in our house.  But I almost exclusively roast them!  It's easy and tasty.  So today I decided to use some of those roasted beets and make some super simple hummus!  If you haven't roasted beets, it's easy as can be.  I like to peel off any part of the beet skin that looks tough or thick, cut the ends off and then cut them into bite size pieces.  Then I line a cookie sheet with foil, spray cooking oil on it and spread out your diced beets.  Then I spray the beets with a bit more spray and salt and pepper them.  Most recipes will say to toss them in olive oil and that is delicious, but I am always trying to cut calories, and a quick spray works just as good in my opinion.  I usually roast them at 375 for like 20-25 minutes.  Each oven is different so roast them until they are fork tender.



And now that we got that whole roasting business over with here is my recipe.  I don't use Tahini or olive oil because, again, the calories!  Neither one of those things are unhealthy at all!  So if calories are not something you worry about then I say add a little of each.  I just share things how I make them.

1 can or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 and 1/2ish cups diced roasted beets
5 cloves garlic (this makes it pretty garlicy, so cut back if you are not a raw garlic lover)
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:  Toss all this stuff in your food processor or blender and blend until creamy!  I like my hummus super creamy so I blend for a good long time.

That's it!  Serve with veggies or my fav, Good Thins Corn crackers.

Now calories:  I calculated this a few times because it seemed too low, so I promise nothing, but I feel pretty confident that it makes about 28 2tbs servings, that are under 20 calories a serving.

Comments

Popular Posts