My Lazy Lean Pozole (Or just call it Pork Chili with Hominy) In The Crock Pot

I'm such a big fan of crock pot meals.  Especially soups, stews and chilis.  I'm also someone who hates to waste food so this recipe combines all of that in my lazy (not exactly traditional) Pozole.  This soup is one of my favs, but I don't always have everything I need to make it.  I suppose you could just call this pork chili with hominy, but Pozole is more fun to say and I feel fancy saying it, even though it's pretty darn easy, even if you do have all the ingredients.


Most Pozoles are made with a homemade red chili sauce where you boil specific varieties of dried peppers and garlic and it's amazing!  I never remember to buy the chilis so I fake it with a little tomato paste, chili powder and garlic.  It's not exactly the same but it sure is easy.  I also add a couple cans of white beans for two reason.  One, I seem to never have enough hominy on hand and you need at least 3 big cans.  Second, everyone in this house likes hominy, but we don't really love hominy.  So I do half beans, half hominy.  If you love Hominy and have 3 or 4 big cans, then leave out the beans.  Hominy is lower in calories then beans, but beans have more fiber and vitamins, so it's up to you.





If you are a purest, then this recipe might not be for you.  You can find traditional ones all over the inter-webs.  I brake all the rules by using beans, cheater chili sauce and (left-over) lean pork loin instead of shoulder.



- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs cooked Pork Loin (You could totally use raw if you toss it on your crock pot early and let it cook on high for 3 or 4 hours)
- 2 25 ounce can Hominy (rinsed thoroughly)
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans (I use the liquid and all, but if you don't want the salt, rinse and add 2/3 can of water)
- 4 ounces Tomato Paste
- 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cayenne (optional if you like heat)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Bay leaf

For Garnish

- Sliced Radish
- Sliced Avocado
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
- Fat Free Greek Yogurt (or sour cream.  I prefer the yogurt because calories.  Lol)
- Fresh Tomato (this one might just be something weird I like because I like tomatoes on/in everything!)


In a large crock pot add your chopped onions, pork loin hunks, minced garlic, tomato paste, 1 cup water and mix.  Drop in your Bay leaf and let cook on high for 2 hours, or low for 3 to 4.  Add Remaining ingredients (minus garnishes silly) and cook on high for 2 to 3 more hours or low for  3 to 4 hours.  Remove Bay leaf.  Serve with garnishes of choice.

This recipe makes about 10 one cup servings.  It's about 345 a serving.

Comments

Popular Posts