Cauliflower Au Gratin with Bacon!!!! (Just a little Bacon)

The truth is cauliflower is not a favorite around here.  I like it quite a bit.  One kid loves it.  One says it's ok and the other two, and my husband, would rather I not cook it at all.  I'm kind of a mean mom, because I do it any way.


My neighbors participate in something called "Imperfect Produce" where they receive a box of random produce that tastes great, but maybe looks a bit funny.  (Although from what I have seen it looks perfectly fine to me.)  They ended up with an over abundance or veggies and because they are the very best!  And because they know we love our veggies here in Dreyland, they gave us some great stuff.  Part of that was two small heads of cauliflower!  Well in an attempt to bring my family into a deeper love of this cruciferous beauty, I decided Sunday Super would include a Cauliflower Gratin.  


Something else I have learned in the last year or so is a little bit of bacon can make a big impact when it comes to many veggie dishes.  I used to use 4 to 6 slices of bacon when I made things like sautéed Brussel Sprouts or green beans.  But the truth is, 1 to 2 slices can give the whole dish a ton of flavor, without added a ton of calories.  If you don't believe me, try it yourself.  We haven't missed it a bit.  (OK, maybe my husband has, but he is a tough sell.)


Lastly, I realize that this is a fair amount of cheese and that adds a bit of calories.  But here is my argument.  If you made this same dish with pasta (a classic mac and cheese type thing) it would be almost twice the calories.  Switching out the pasta for cauliflower makes this dish just as decadent, but you can have a bigger serving!  Win win in my book!



-2 slices center cut bacon
-1/2 diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
-1 large head cauliflower (or 2 small heads) cooked al dente
-1 to 1 and 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup non fat milk
-1/4 low fat cream cheese
-2 ounces Velveeta
-1/2 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 tsp cayenne (if you like it spice)

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large skillet sauté cut up bacon and onion until bacon is cooked and onion is translucent.  Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.  Add butter, once melted ad flour and whisk to make a roux.  Add milk, whisking for a few minutes on low/medium heat until thickened a bit.  Add cheeses (reserve 1/4 cup shredded cheese) and whisk until you have a yummy, melty cheese sauce.  Add cayenne.

Spray a 9 by 11 baking dish with cooking spray.  Spread cauliflower evenly in your baking dish.  Pour cheese sauce over the dish evenly.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.  Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is a bit golden around the edges.

This dish makes about 8 hearty servings, at about 275 calories a serving!

Comments

Popular Posts