Celery Root Spicy Oven Fries with Spicy Yogurt Aioli

 We have this small produce market near our house.  I pop in there at least every other week to see what they have and stock up on veggies and sometimes fruit.  Recently I was in there and they had these big weird root looking things.  Kind of gnarly and ugly, but when I read the sign that said it was Celery root for $0.69 a pound I figured it was worth trying.  I had heard it made a good substitution for mashed potatoes.




When I got it home I decided to pull up the trusty Youtubes to see how to even cut and prepare the thing.  I came across a few recipes for oven fries.  Guess what?!  This lady loves fries so that is what I decided to make.  I wont go into the details of how to sort of peel it.  You can look on line and find videos that can explain it better then I could.  But once you get it all "peeled" you want to cut it into French fry strips. This is so simple I am not even sure it's needs a recipe, but since they turned out so tasty I figured I would share anyway.  Plus I am in love with making "aioli" but using fat free Greek yogurt, and just a bit of mayo.  It cuts out a ton of calories so you can dip to your hearts content!!



(For the Celery Root)

- One celery root bulb, "peeled" and cut into French fry pieces.
- Favorite Spicy seasoning mix (We love Slap Ya Mama, but a Cajun mix or just some salt, Cyan pepper, Cumin to taste
-non stick cooking spray

(for Aioli)

- 3 Tbls Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbls low fat mayo
- 1 Tsp Rooster Sauce
- Couple Dashes of garlic salt
- A quick Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (375 convection).  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Evenly spread your celery root fry pieces over the pan and spray the top of them to help the seasoning stick.  Sprinkle with seasoning of choice, and bake for 20, to 30 minutes, until they look crispy and golden.  Turn them every 10 minutes so they cook evenly.

For the Aioli it's as simple as just mixing everything together.

Celery root is about 66 calories per cup.  The Aioli is about 60 calories.  So this entire recipe is less then 130 calories total and it's a lot of fries and dip!!

Comments

Popular Posts